Monday, September 12, 2011

In Memory of 9/11




On Thursday, September 15, at 8:00 p.m. come celebrate the work of Margaret
Clarke with us as she expresses her personal New York experience in honor of
9/11.  In her own words,

"The spring after Sept. 11th I found a pile of discarded art supplies 
on the street near my apartment. It felt like it had to do with 9/11;
an East Village artist getting out or giving up, some dismissal in 
their action to rid themselves of what once felt like a possibility. 
In the pile were eight small, poorly stretched canvases with paint 
splatter and brush marks. I took them and when the events of Sept. 11th 
crept into a place where I could paint about them, those battered 
canvases were what I wanted to paint on. A New York panorama, 
served as the base image for all the paintings but I let the original 
splotches and marks direct me to eight different places. I took what
that artist left behind, that fellow New Yorker, and together we made 
these paintings."

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis